How to stop spam text messages on Samsung
Samsung may have made your Android phone, but it hasn’t made it immune to spam messages. In fact, nobody can provide faultless spam protection. But you aren’t powerless against Big Spam. There are several ways to block text messages on Samsung phones, and we will discuss each of them in detail.
Updated: June 14, 2023
How do I stop spam texts on Samsung?
On Samsung, you can stop spam text in several ways:
- Remove your mobile number from data broker databases
- Get a spam filter app like RobotKiller, TextKiller, or Hiya from the Google Play Store .
- Block the sender via the Contacts App or Messages app and report it as spam to Google
- Report the phone number as spam to the carrier
1) Remove your data from data broker databases
Regardless of whether you are a Samsung owner or not, this is perhaps one of the most efficient methods to decrease spam to your phone. You mobile number, along with the rest of you personal data, maybe be available for sale on hundreds of data broker sites. If you want to decrease the amount of spam messages you receive, you can remove your data from data broker databases.
You can achieve this in one of two ways:
- Do it yourself by opting out of every data broker individually. We created an extensive list of data brokers opt out guides with detailed opt out procedures. You’ll want to remove this info from as many websites as possible. And repeat the process every three to six months (data brokers tend to scrape your info again a few months after you successfully removed it).
- Alternatively, you can subscribe to Incogni. Incogni is an automated personal information removal service that sends such requests on your behalf. It works to keep your personal details, such as names, phone numbers, addresses, and more, off the market.
2) Download and install a third-party app such as RobotKiller, TextKiller, or Hiya from the Google Play Store.
The beauty of smartphones is that there are third-party apps that can help you block unwanted messages. Here’s how you can use one of these apps:
- Download and install a third-party app such as RobotKiller, TextKiller, or Hiya from the Google Play Store.
- Launch the app.
- Follow the instructions to set up the app on your Samsung phone.
The app will automatically detect and block spam messages on your phone, and they also have additional anti-spam functionalities.
3) Block the sender via the Contacts App or Messages app and report it as spam to Google
If you are receiving spam text from the same number over and over again, block the sender via the Contacts App or Messages app and report it as spam to Google.
Block the number via the contacts app:
- Open the Contacts app on your Samsung phone.
- Locate the contact that you want to block.
- Alternatively, tap ”create contact” and enter the phone number and name of the spam sender you want to block.
- Tap on the contact and then the “details” button to open their profile.
- Tap the three-dot icon in the top right corner.
- Select “block contact” from the dropdown list.
- Confirm that you want to block the contact by tapping “block.”
Block the number via the Messages App and report spam to Google
If you receive spam messages on your Samsung phone, you can report them to Google to help it recognize new spam types as well as blocking the sender.
This method only applies if you already have the sender listed in your contacts:
- Open the Messages app on your Samsung phone.
- Locate the message that you want to report as spam.
- Hold on the message until a crossed-out circle icon appears.
- Check the box to report spam.
- Confirm that you want to report the message as spam as well as block the number.
To report an unknown number, follow these steps:
- Tap and hold the message until the three-dot menu icon appears in the top right corner.
- Tap that three-dot icon.
- Choose ”block.”
- Check the box for reporting spam.
- Confirm that you want to block the sender and report spam.
Note: some carrier charges may apply when it comes to reporting the message to Google.
4) Report the phone number as spam to the carrier
You can also report the spammer to your carrier. That way, you’ll help protect other users. Here’s how you can do it:
- Contact your carrier’s customer support team.
- Inform them that you are receiving spam messages on your Samsung phone.
- Provide them with the phone number from which you are receiving the messages.
- Follow their instructions to report the spam messages.
There are a lot of carriers out there, so the specific steps may be different for yours.
In conclusion: reclaim the Messages app from spam
Blocking spam text messages on a Samsung phone is no more difficult than doing it on any other Android phone. Let this ease of use help you ensure that any text message you receive is a text message that has something to offer you.
How about starting by enlisting Incogni to make data brokers delete your data?
More guides on how to stop spam:
- How to stop spam calls
- How to stop spam emails
- How to stop spam texts
- How to stop spam calls on landline
- How to block texts from emails
- How to stop iPhone calendar spam
- How to Stop Junk Mail
Why am I receiving more spam text messages?
You are likely getting more spam messages on Samsung because your phone number fell into the hands of more spammers. This could have happened because:
1. You publicly revealed your number recently.
2. A service that had your number experienced a data breach.
3. A data broker that has your number sold your data to spammers.